Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Bonus for 'Baldness' Part 1

April 8th, 2008 This evening, Allie and I ventured out to Asheville. We were going to see Citizen Cope at the Orange Peel and had been looking forward to this for several weeks. When we got there and marked our territory in the very front row, we met fellow Cope fans. One of them was a female who had her hair only mildly longer than mine is currently (as seen to the right). She was pretty funny and we enjoyed the small talk.
We found ourselves a bit surprised as to the performance that we saw. However, during the middle to end of the show, the girls to Allie's left became more belligerent and obnoxious. They started to push and fall all over each other and eventually over Allie. She managed to make it through, but people definitely noticed her situation. I know this to be true for several reasons. 1) the security guard came over and tried to remove the girls from being a disturbance and 2) because a peace favor (from the drummer) was given exclusively to Allie. He gave Allie both of the sticks that he had played quite roughly through the night and let me say, she deserved them things!
After the show Allie and I waited for the slightest possibility that Cope might make an appearance. As band members started to leak out from backstage, we then saw the drummer. He immediately came over to Allie and gave her this genuine, big hug. He looked down at her and said, " looks like you were having hard time out there". Allie I think was intoxicated from the overwhelming 'beautiful man smell' (please note that this is not sweaty and nasty, but very fresh and clean), but she managed to get out a response and thanked the drummer for his hospitality (and clean scent).
After the drummer came out, Cope shortly followed. At this point Allie and I were already thrilled to have met the drummer, and to have seen them all in person, but now we would meet Clarence Greenwood (Citizen Cope) himself. To our surprise, he is a bit timid and a man of very few words. He looks like he smokes constantly, but it is very clear that he loves what he does for a living. Allie being the great person that she is, gave me one of the two sticks. She then moved her way through the mini crowd and got a 'COPE' signature on her stick. I soon did the same, after a few other peoples' ticket stubs were signed.
Allie got looks from envious fans and I got looks for being with her. As to my haircut,I do not notice the looks toward me anymore. I might not even get them, we were in Asheville, so uniqueness much more common there :) .People at Western have seen me, so when I go out of the Cullowhee bubble, I am more likely to get looks, but I don't think that this was the case. This evening made me realize how happy I was not being the only girl with buzzed hair. Although, I do believe that seeing Citizen Cope and having our hair was the only thing we had in common. Throughout the night she showed preference to females...

Alie and I both left Asheville that evening very happy.

No comments: